I'm stealing from a recent email blast with the GLCL's events for March. Visit their Events page for additional information.
• Mar 9, 3-5pm: Sonnet Poetry Roundtable for Members Only. We're pleased to offer our members a private Poetry Roundtable session with moderator Phillip Sterling on March 9 from 6 - 8 pm. We will focus on the Sonnet form.
• Mar 11, 6:30pm: Writers Squared is an original series here at GLCL wherein two authors (well-known to one another) read from their own work as well as each other’s, engaging with the audience in a dialogue revolving around their craft, the life behind the work, and whatever else may surface! On Friday, March 11, at 6:30 pm, Amy Gustine and Kevin Breen will be here. Join us for this casual, engaging, and free event!
• Mar 13, 2-4pm: Writing the Very Short Story: A Workshop for Young Writers. In anticipation of the Grand Rapids Festival of the Arts Fiction Contest, we are offering a FREE writing workshop for writers in the Youth Categories of the contest (ages 8 - 17 years old).
The workshop will focus on writing concise stories under 800 words. Introduction to the online submission process will also be presented.
The workshop is free, but space is limited to 18 participants (parents are welcome to stay).
• Mar 16, 6:30pm: Whiskey & Wit: A Rather Humorous Reading and Conversation. GLCL, in conjunction with Gilda's LaughFest, brings you Whiskey and Wit: A Rather Humorous Reading and Conversation with renowned authors Thomas Lynch, Keith Taylor, and Michael Delp. Feel like laughing, learning how to guffaw, or simply trying on a smirk for size? This event will feature some original works by each author as well as their selection of witty pieces from various other writers. Plus, enjoy short pours of various Irish whiskeys!
• Mar 20, 3-5pm: Writing with Character, Writing with Guts: Fiction Workshop with Kristina Riggle. Novelist Kristina Riggle’s workshop will include tips for writing characters so vital and vivid, your readers will feel like they walk off the page. Kristina will also discuss tips for crashing through the obstacles in the way of your writing, which takes guts. This workshop will be limited to 12 participants. The fee for this workshop is $50. If you are a member of GLCL, you qualify for $10 off the workshop fee.
• Mar 22, 6:30pm: Book Launch for Glenn Shaheen's Energy Corridor. Join us on Tuesday, March 22 at 6:30 pm to celebrate the release of Glenn Shaheen's latest volume of poetry, Energy Corridor, from the University of Pittsburgh Press. This event is free and open to all!
• Mar 24, 6:30pm: A Celebration of Superior Poetry. This free event will introduce new books of poetry from and about the U.P., including Janeen Pergrin Rastall’s award winning chapbook Objects May Appear Closer, Phillip Sterling’s chapbook And For All This: Poems from Isle Royale, and the anthology Amethyst and Agates: Poems of Lake Superior (with contributions by Milton Bates). Everyone is welcome!